Hot Breakfast Succotash with corn, peppers, onions, bacon and spinach!
Last Saturday, I really wanted a hot breakfast, but we were out of eggs! I remembered a wonderful dish my mom used to make with leftover corn sometimes during the summer, and decided to try making it with a few upgrades (i.e. more veggies!). I like this recipes because it’s quick, easy, healthy, gluten free, and delicious! Plus, I can’t think of a healthier way to sneak in some bacon. =)
- 4-6 Slices of Bacon
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper (red, green or orange)
- 1 cup frozen corn (or fresh corn shaved off the cob)
- handful of raw spinach
- Shredded cheese for topping ( I used taco mix cheese)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon until crispy, drain grease and pat bacon dry. Set aside.
- Saute onion and pepper in a little olive oil, salt and pepper until translucent and slightly soft (About 10 minutes).
- While onions and pepper are cooking, crumble bacon into bite size pieces.
- Add 1 cup frozen corn, and a big handful of chopped spinach, and cook until heated through.
- Top with bacon and shredded cheese.
- Season with pepper and salt.
Serving Suggestion: Served with roasted potatoes or fried eggs. I used peppers, onions and spinach, but you could throw in any other veggies you have on hand too, like asparagus zucchini. For a more filling meal and extra fiber, try adding 1 cup of rinsed black or pinto beans and top with salsa!
What are some of your favorite gluten free breakfast recipes?