Looking for a coffee cake recipe that tastes delicious, but contains no refined carbs and a fraction of the added sugars compared to traditional coffeecake? Look no further! This recipe is family tested and approved for flavor and texture (i.e., just as good as the “normal” stuff).
As a dietitian, I have three criteria for my recipes.
- They need to taste good.
- They need to be made of mostly “good for you” ingredients.
- They need to be easy to make and contain easily available ingredients.
This coffee cake recipe is gluten free, “good for you,” and tastes just as good as traditional coffee cake. This recipe features whole grain oat flour, almond flour and coconut flour, a combination which is chock full of fiber, protein, and healthy fats, as well as vitamin E, magnesium and iron. Unlike a lot of gluten free replacements, this coffee cake is rich in flavor, texture and nutritional value!
Gluten Free Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 2 cups almond flour (not almond meal)**
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour (or grind oats* in a food processor until they turn into a fine powder)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour**
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs (beat together with a fork in a small bowl)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup 1% milk or non-dairy milk
- 1 TB vanilla
Cinnamon Crumb Topping
- 1 TB Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 TB butter
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds or chopped walnuts
- 1 cup oats*
- Preheat oven to 350. Coat 8×8 pan or 9in round cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine all dry ingredients and set aside.
- Combine all wet ingredients in mixer. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Spread coffeecake with topping, bake for 25-30 minutes until set, and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve with butter if desired. Enjoy!
For Topping: Melt butter, cinnamon and sugar in the microwave. Stir well. Hand mix in nuts and oats and spread topping over the unbaked coffee cake.
Reheat leftovers the next day in the microwave for 15 seconds with a little butter or heart healthy margarine for the best results!
*To make sure this coffee cake is Celiac-Safe, be sure to use Certified Gluten Free Oats, as most commercial oats are contaminated by gluten.
** Store high fat flours, like coconut and almond flour in the freezer or refrigerator to keep them from going rancid.