Hearty, delicious, and filling, Tortilla Soup is one of my favorite go to meals for busy week nights or busy weekends! Although there are no tortillas in this soup, it goes great with tortilla chips. The nice thing about tortilla soup is that you can mix and match the ingredients and swap in substitutions based on whatever you have on hand. No ground beef? Try ground turkey or textured vegetable protein instead. Feel free to use kidney beans or red beans instead of pinto and black beans, and try different colored peppers.
Recipe for Tortilla Soup
- 1lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 16oz can tomato sauce
- 1 packet McCormick’s gluten free taco seasoning mix
- 2 -3 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15oz can pinto beans or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
Toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips
- Brown ground beef with taco seasoning in a large pot.
- Add diced onion and peppers to ground beef and cook until softened.
- Add tomato sauce, broth, beans and corn to the pot and simmer for 20-30 minutes until heated through.
- Serve with shredded cheese or sour cream and tortilla chips!