This is recipe is great for busy weeknights and leftovers can be frozen for later. I started with my mom’s homemade spaghetti sauce and then added my favorite super food- lentils! Lentils are a great supplement or substitute for meat and are an excellent source of fiber, protein, iron and folate.
Slow Cooker Lentil Spaghetti Sauce
- 3 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp italian seasonings
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 TB sugar
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup water or broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 TB minced garlic
- 1-2 TB olive oil
- 1 lb 90% ground lean beef or turkey (optional)
- red pepper flakes, ground pepper and salt to taste
- Brown meat or turkey with diced onion, garlic and olive oil. If omitting meat, just saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add a little water to the pan if meat starts to stick
- While meat is browning, place tomatoes, tomato paste, lentils, spices and herbs, sugar and water in slow cooker, stirring until combined.
- Add browned meat and onion mixture to crockpot. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve with gluten free whole grain pasta (Tinkyada, Jovial, Ancient Harvest or Explore Foods make some good pastas). Top with grated parmesan cheese.
- Sauce can be frozen or refrigerated for leftovers.