A great mystery to me when I was growing up, was the fluffy pancake. What made it so puffy in the oven? Recently I tried experimenting to make a gluten free version of the fluffy pancake. I love the fluffy or German pancake because it’s one of those quick and easy breakfasts I can whip up on a weekend morning that feels special but doesn’t take too much time. Pair it with my mixed berry fruit salad (See below for recipe), powdered sugar and lemon juice or maple syrup for a delectable treat. If you are feeding a crowd, double the recipe and baked in a 9×13 pan. One pancake serves 2-4 people.
While researching how to make a gluten free version, all the websites recommended against using a flour substitute that DID NOT have xanthan gum. Since all my flour bends already have xanthan gum, I used Bob’s Red Mill’s gluten free oat flour, and it turned out delicious! My husband couldn’t tell it was gluten free, which is my quality control test. Another tip, is use a pre-heated baking dish or cast iron skillet for best results.
Gluten Free Fluffy German Pancake Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill GF Oat Flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 TB melted butter
Directions for Gluten Free Fluffy German Pancake:
- Pre-heat oven to 450. Pre-heat 10 inch cast iron skillet or baking dish in oven.
- Beat or whisk eggs.
- Add milk, and vanilla extract, sugar, and salt.
- Sift or break down flour to get rid of clumps before adding gradually to the egg mixture.
- Melt butter in cast iron pan or baking pan. Then add melted butter to egg mixture.
- Pour batter into pre-heated cast iron skillet (or greased baking dish) and bake for 12-18 minutes until pancake has golden edges.
- Powdered sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Whipped cream
- Mixed Berry Fruit Salad (combine all ingredients and let marinate for 20 minutes)
- 16oz fresh strawberries chopped
- 6oz raspberries
- 6oz blueberries or black raspberries
- 1 bunch of mint leaves finely chopped
- Powdered sugar
- Juice from one lime or lemon (optional)